Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Taylored Expressions March Studio Challenge

011

TEStudiochallengebadge
It's time for the Baker's Dozen Studio Challenge.  This is a monthly opportunity for the Taylored Expressions team to share what makes our stamping studios hum.  Each month we  have a fun, crafty question so we can share our favorites, some tips and tricks, stamping advice and more.
The question for March is:
You oughta be in pictures!!
We all love to share our completed projects with others on our blogs and in on-line galleries.  So, when the stamping ends, the photography begins.  This is a fun step for some and a frustrating one for others.  How is it for you?
Tell us how you get those beautiful project photos.
Let me preface this post, I feel completely unqualified to do this post. I need some photography lessons myself.  But I am happy to share with you what I do. Here is what my set up looks like with the project inside…
013
I recently got a photobox that I now use. It was a Christmas present from my husband, and I believe he purchased it from Amazon since he only shops online. Prior to this, I had made a photobox out of the thick posterboard which can be purchased at Michaels.  
The photobox I have came with the two site lamps which really are of no use. I have them sitting there but do not use them. They create “hot spots” within the photobox and don’t light up my cards at all.  That is why I have the lamp in the front to try and get more light in there. It’s all about light isn’t it? 
I have some white paper taped up to add as a back drop for the Taylored Expressions projects. Because they fall down, I tape up the vertical piece so that it isn’t crashing in on my project while I photograph it. 
Most of the time, I photograph my projects with a Nikon D40 which is now a retired camera from Nikon, but it’s a great versatile camera.  Of course, today, I had problems with it (my battery is dead and the charger is MIA).  I had to break out the iPhone 5 camera, which thankfully is a good camera. 
I edit my photos in Photoshop elements, and I use only the most basic editing features it offers. I have yet to figure out all the nuances of PSE.  I do have a book that my husband bought me called, “How to Cheat in Photoshop Elements,” and I need to spend some time with it. (Wink)
So back to the project, here’s what I created:
014I broke out the Crate Paper, Acorn Avenue and die cut it with the Silhouette Stems 2, and 3. I covered the base and created a panel for the card with paper from the Crate Paper, Acorn Avenue Then I stamped the “You’re in my Thoughts sentiment from Posh Posies
I don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to reading the tips from the rest of the Taylored Expressions Design team.  Be sure to visit their blogs.  Here are the links to help you get started:







Carole Burrage
Charmaine Ikach
Jen Shults
Kerri Mchaud
Lynnette Kauffman
Sankari Wegman
Shannon White
Shelly Mercado
Stephanie Kraft
Tammie Edgerton
Taylor VanBruggen
Wanda Guess
Hope you enjoy the posts! Thanks for stopping by.
Hugs and blessings
Nette

8 comments:

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Love your card, Lynnette! And I enjoyed reading about your process!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card Lynnette! I know what you mean about PSE...it's hard! I have PSE for dummies, and I still don't get it! LOL. Great set up - your photos always look good! :-)

Cindi said...

Beautiful card! Thanks for the tips.

Unknown said...

Beautiful card, Lynnette! Thanks for sharing about your process - it works very well for you!

snappy scrappy said...

Gorgeous...love the patterns!!

Shannon White said...

Beautiful Card Lynette!! Super photo set up, looks much more convenient than mine, lol After seeing everyone's set ups, I am seriously thinking of making a change, lol Thanks for sharing your process Lady! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon

Sabrina said...

Beautiful card! Great tips!

Shelly said...

Love your card, Lynnette! Thanks for sharing your setup, it's been fun reading everyone's process and tips! Great picture too! :)